Table of Contents:
Dataedo on Linux
Switch to the documentation for Dataedo 7.x (current).
There are two ways of running Dataedo on Linux machine:
- Virtual Machine - you can install Windows in a virtual machine using VMware or similar software. This method provides the best compatibility, but you will have to run a copy of Windows in the background.
- Wine - Wine is a compatibility layer that allows running Windows applications on Linux by mapping api calls to Linux equivalents. Note that Wine is Not an Emulator and it won’t allow running Dataedo on architectures that are not natively supported (other than i386 and x64).
Dataedo 32 bit has been tested and runs reasonably well on Wine, however installation requires some tricks. Dataedo 64 bit likely won’t work as long as .NET 4 is only installable in 32-bit wine prefixes.
You will need several pieces of software:
Dataedo 5.2 or newer. Earlier versions will not run, causing exception on startup
Wine version 2.0. We have tested older Wine (1.6) and Dataedo was unstable.
.NET framework 4.0 installed in Wine
32 bit Oracle Client, if you want to connect to Oracle DB
In our example we will show how to install Dataedo on 32 bit Ubuntu Linux.
Download and install Wine 2.0 - we followed instructions from https://www.winehq.org/download, as it has download packages for major linux distributions.
Create a 32 bit wineprefix:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
Install Mono and Gecko when prompted.
Installing .NET Framework 4.0
Next you will have to install .NET Framework 4.0 on Wine. The easiest method is to use the winetricks script.
First, download winetricks:
sudo apt install winetricks
Install .NET Framework using your wineprefix:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dotnet40
If prompted, download gacutil and place it in the specified directory.
Now run winecfg:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
then go to Libraries and add secur32 library in native mode (mscoree should already be there set by winetricks script).
Download Dataedo installer from https://dataedo.com/download-dataedo
Run the installer in your prefix:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 wine Dataedo_6.0.1_setup.exe
We’ve checked the Create link on desktop box so that future running would be easier. Now you can just double click the Dataedo Icon on your desktop:
and just run the app:
- Rich text fields may look not as intended - underlines and strikethroughs, and background colors are misaligned; when selecting text, the highlighted part may not match the actual selection; justified text shows as aligned to left
In some fields (e.g. support email address) text does not fit the alloted space and may not display all characters
Radio buttons have a black background
- PDF export does not work - images are either not displayed, or upside down for some reason; text looks smashed together
- moving to other objects through right-click ‘Go to …’ takes a long time.
- sending error reports doesn’t work (we don’t want these anyway ;)
- checking for updates doesn’t work
- command line automation (likely won’t work)
- connection to Oracle DB will require installation of Oracle Client, start here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Oracle%20Instant%20Client