Table of Contents:
File vs server repository
Switch to the documentation for Dataedo 7.x (current).
Dataedo server repository is a predefined SQL Server database. It is a regular database that is created by Dataedo with mostly tables to store metadata.
Choose server repository if
- Whenever you can
- Want to work in multi-user environment
- Have access to SQL Server instance (you may use free SQL Server Express edition)
Server repository is recommended option
File repository is a SQL Server Compact database that is stored as a file on your disk. It has almost identical schema as server repository.
Differences from server
- No authentication
- No support for concurrent work
- Slow performance using in network environment
Choose file repository if
- You evaluating Dataedo and can't or don't want to install a server and a repository database
- Don't have access to SQL Server instance
It is possible to migrate from file to server with a little effort.