Table of Contents:
Dataedo on macOS
Switch to the documentation for Dataedo 7.x (current).
There are two ways of running Dataedo on a Mac:
- Virtual Machine - you can install Windows in a virtual machine using VMware or similar software. This method provides the best compatibility, but you will have to run a copy of Windows in the background.
- Wine - Wine is a compatibility layer that allows running Windows applications on Linux by mapping api calls to Linux equivalents. Note that Wine is Not an Emulator and it won’t allow running Dataedo on architectures that are not natively supported (other than i386 and am64).
Dataedo 32 bit has been tested and runs reasonably well on Wine, however installation requires some tricks. Dataedo 64 bit likely won’t work as long as .NET 4 is only installable in 32-bit wine prefixes.
You will need several pieces of software:
Dataedo 5.2 or newer. Earlier versions will not run, causing exception on startup.
Wine version 2.0. We have tested older Wine (1.6) and Dataedo was unstable.
XQuartz is required to render GUI.
.NET framework 4.0.
32-bit Oracle Client software if you are going to connect to Oracle database.
(Optional) Homebrew package manager - allows you to run most of the installation through terminal. You don't strictly need to use it, but it will make the installation easier.
In our example we will show how to install macOS High Sierra using Homebrew.
We’re using Homebrew package manager to fix everything faster. To install it, just copy the command below to your terminal:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
To render Dataedo windows on macOS we need to install XQuartz:
brew cask install xquartz
Download and install Wine 2.0:
brew install wine
Create a 32bit wineprefix:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
Install Mono and Gecko if prompted.
Installing .NET Framework 4.0
Next you will have to install .NET Framework 4.0 on Wine. The easiest method is to use the winetricks script. First, download winetricks:
brew install winetricks
Install .NET Framework using your wineprefix:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dotnet40
Now run winecfg:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
Then, go to Libraries and add secur32 library in native mode (mscoree should already be there set by winetricks script).
Download Dataedo installer from https://dataedo.com/download-dataedo.
Run the installer in your prefix (switch your_username below with your username):
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 wine \users\your_username\downloads\Dataedo_6.0.1_setup.exe
After installing you can just run your app:
- Rich text fields may look not as intended - underlines and strikethroughs, and background colors are misaligned; when selecting text, the highlighted part may not match the actual selection; justified text shows as aligned to left
- Some fields or windows don't fit alloted space and may display scrollbars
- Radio buttons have a black background
- PDF export does not work - images are either not displayed, or upside down for some reason; text looks smashed together
- moving to other objects through right-click ‘Go to …’ takes a long time.
- sending error reports doesn’t work
- checking for updates doesn’t work
- command line automation (likely won’t work)
- connection to Oracle DB will require installation of Oracle Client