User Interface consists of two distinct executables:
- Dataedo Editor - main user interface to work with documentation.
- Dataedo Administration Console - separate UI to manage repository users and license keys.
Dataedo Editor user interface consists of three main elements:
- Ribbon that provides options for current view and selected element
- Repository explorer that enables navigation of repository
- Forms/lists pane that displays details of element selected in repository explorer
Ribbon displays options according to the current view and selected element. Options include:
- Open/New - Opens Connect window that enables you to connect to another repository
- Refresh view - Refreshes repository explorer view
- Custom fields - Add, edit or remove custom fields in your repository
Actions section - Depends on currently selected object
- Save - Saves current object
- Remove - Removes current object from repository
- Add module - Adds new module
- Move module up/down - Moves the current module one position up or down
- Remove from module - Removes object from module
- Add relation - Adds new user-defined relation
- Add key - Adds new user-defined primary or unique key
Documentation - Options to manage your documentations in current repository
- Add documentation - Opens wizard that adds new documentation to the repository
- Update documentation - Opens wizard that connects to database and updates schema in current documentation
- Export documentation - Exports current documentation to PDF, HTML or Excel
- Search - Open search repository tab
- Show progress - Shows progress bars of documentation of database objects in the repository explorer
ERD - Applies to ERD editor
- Remove from diagram - Removes selected table from diagram
- Buy Pro - Opens Dataedo shop webpage
- Upgrade/Trial - Form for requesting a trial key or entering trial/pro key.
- About - Information about Dataedo version and license and option to change license key
- Support - Opens a window with links to documentation, forums and direct contact to Dataedo team
Documentation form enables you to change a title and write an introduction to your documentation.
List of modules
List displays modules added in a documentation.
Module form enables you to describe module and create module Entity Relationship Diagram.
Description tab enables you to change module title and provide description for a module (chapter in documentation).
Enables you to draw Entity Relationship Diagram for a module.
Table form enables you to document table.
Description tab enables you to provide description of a table, assign a title and assign table to a module(s).
Tab provides a view of table columns and ability to describe each.
List of table relations/foreign keys. It enables describing each relation and creating user-defined relations.
Unique keys tab
List of table unique and primary keys. It enables describing each key and creating user-defined relations.
List of table triggers and their scripts. It enables providing a description for each trigger.
Metadata tab displays table repository metadata:
- DBMS last updated - date and time table was last updated in documented database.
- Last imported - date and time table was last imported to the repository.
- Last updated - date and time table was last updated in the repository (this includes imports/updates and updates of descriptions).
Similar to Table form.
Procedure form enables you to document stored procedure.
Description tab enables you to provide the description of a procedure, assign a title and assign the procedure to a module(s).
It allows describing the procedure parameters.
Enables preview of stored procedure script imported from a database.
Function form enables you to document function.
Description tab enables you to provide the description of a function, assign a title and assign the function to a module(s).
It allows to describe the function parameters and returned value.
Enables preview of function script imported from database.
List of tables/views/procedures/functions
Lists all tables/views/procedures/functions in a documentation or a module. You are able to provide/edit a title for each object and assign an object to the module(s). Changes are saved right after closing editor.