Query below returns distribution of column name lengths (number of characters).
select length(c.column_name) as column_name_length, count(*) as columns, count(distinct c.table_schema || '.' || c.table_name) as tables from information_schema.columns c inner join information_schema.tables t on t.table_schema = c.table_schema and t.table_name = c.table_name where t.table_schema not in ('information_schema', 'pg_catalog') and t.table_type = 'BASE TABLE' group by length(c.column_name) order by length(c.column_name);
- column_name_length - lenght in characters of column name
- columns - number of columns with this length
- tables - number of tables that have columns with this name length
- One row represents one name lenght (number of characters)
- Scope of rows: each column length that exists in a database
- Ordered by length ascending (from 1 to max)