Table of Contents:
Organizing documentation with modules
What are modules
Modules are elements that exist in Dataedo repository only. This is a way of logical grouping of objects related to one functional area. It enables you to break down large complex databases into smaller comprehensible parts. It helps you in the following ways:
- Find specific tables and other objects quicker,
- Establish what specific table or other object does and what it is related to and
- Find all the objects related to specific module or functionality.
Modules become also chapters of your PDF document. Documentation of all objects will be grouped into chapters.
Each module has a rich text description of a functional area that is an introduction to the documentation of objects in the module.
Modules have also Entity Relationship Diagrams associated with them. You can create one ERD for each module. It will be attached in exported documentation.
To summarise, a module is an object created in Dataedo repository that has:
- A title,
- A description/introduction,
- List of assigned objects (tables, views, procedures and functions) and
- Entity Relationship Diagram.