What are Subject Areas
Subject Areas are elements that exist in Dataedo repository only. This is a way of logical grouping of objects related to one functional area. It enables you to break down large complex databases into smaller comprehensible parts. It helps you in the following ways:
- Find specific tables and other objects quicker,
- Establish what specific table or other object does and what it is related to and
- Find all the objects related to specific Subject Area or functionality.
Subject Areas become also chapters of your PDF document. Documentation of all objects will be grouped into chapters.
Each Subject Area has a rich text description of a functional area that is an introduction to the documentation of objects in the Subject Area.
Subject Areas have also Entity Relationship Diagrams associated with them. You can create one ERD for each Subject Area. It will be attached in exported documentation.
To summarise, a Subject Area is an object created in Dataedo repository that has:
- A title,
- A description/introduction,
- List of assigned objects (tables, views, procedures and functions) and
- Entity Relationship Diagram.